Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Child Doll Restoration

A very nice girl in Canada sent me these rather tragic My Child dolls.




Both were very stained, with gerying faces and hands. The dark-haird one even had some food substance all over her face, neck and chest. I decided I needed to save these poor gals, post haste!




I stripped them down and prepped a cocktail of detergent and fels naptha paste, which I applied with a toothbrush to all the messy spots.




You might recall this post where I show my new method of spot-cleaning my stuffed animals using a Waterpik flossing system. I wish I got a video of how easily all the gunk came off with the water pressure. It was amazing! Dirt just vanished away, like counter crud in some sort of infomercial. If I find another dingy doll I promise to make a video, it was fun and cool and not hard on the dollies at all!


Here they are, wet but clean!


After they dried I applied new makeup using watercolor pencils. Don't they look pretty!

Click on the image to see!


Time to do their hair!


I scrounged up an outfit for the knot-top and washed the original jammies blondie came in.
And voila! New dolls!






I put them up on my little white shelf along with my other two My Child Dolls. I have given them names too!

Here we have: Ebony, Robbie, Allie and Erica.

I must say as a side note, I have had the most horrible couple of weeks at work and just in general. I am so grateful I have toys to help get me through. They are faithful friends who always help get my mind off things.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved this makeover! You really brought them back to life, they're soooo sweet.
    I am now looking forward to try and rescue the My Child my parents gave me for one Christmas when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) my sister and I had MyChild dolls, one blonde with a pink dress and one had brown hair with purple dress. I have no idea why, but we called them Posey dolls?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What brand of pencils did you use for their makeup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW! Impressive-Thanks for the tips! What all do you collect as far as dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. boa tarde me chamo ana lucia e trabalho com bonecas, me interessei muito por esta boneca gostaria de saber como posso comprar uma e se tem como adquirir os moldes dela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. boa tarde me chamo ana lucia e trabalho com bonecas, me interessei muito por esta boneca gostaria de saber como posso comprar uma e se tem como adquirir os moldes dela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful!! So glad they give you joy! I am at present restoring my daughters redheaded My Child, thank you for your imput!

    ReplyDelete