Friday, April 22, 2016

Vintage My Little Pony Pretty Pals Unboxing 1 - Baby Lucky Leaf & Baby Leafy

Hello fellow toy hounds! I am back again! Yay! I am on my way to getting my online crap together, but its taken some time. I'm sure you can relate: you have 30 accounts on every social networking site imaginable but the REAL WORLD often calls you away to do actual physical things and that can pile up!

Ah! Modern life!

Lots has happened since my last post. I have continued to grow The Pink Room quite a bit. We went from about 1,000 items to 1,700 or so. I have sold about 700 vintage toys since last I posted and I now have about 5,000 items of inventory waiting to be listed. I'm slowly working through the boxes while doing other things like going to school and writing books and being a mom and all the other fun things in life. I made myself promise not to scout for new inventory until all the rest is listed. I hope I can keep that promise! See my previous post, this is a long labor of love and I never really make a profit because of the nature of the business, but I almost don't care. :)

I have also tried to get much, much better at taking photos for The Pink Room and ever so slowly they are getting more professional. All my ugly old photos featuring cute vintage things are being discounted 30%-90% until all the ugly photos are gone. So if you have your eye on an expensive-ish item, that's something to keep in mind!

Even though I haven't written here, I have been steeped in writing about for months and months. I am currently writing a book about vintage 1980's toys and there is a lot of interest in that with various publishing companies. Over the years I have  published several articles about antiques and vintage and several short stories and poems of mine have been featured in magazines. My pen name is Erika Viktor, if you care to follow that part of my life. I just started posting stuff on Wattpad this week, just some short paranormal stories if you are interested!

So I have been slowly adding to my MLP collection these past few months. I decided I want to focus on complete and mint to near mint sets. I was fortunate enough to spend way too much on a set of Pretty Pals that are partially removed from their packaging. I now have the whole set and will do a slow unboxing on the blog with just some nice photos! Hooray!

Feel free to use the photos for anything you want, but would appreciate a link back!

So today I am starting off with Baby Lucky Leaf and Baby Leafy. I was not lucky enough (pun intended) to have these as a kid, though I did have numerous other MLP growing up. Stay tuned for a nice scan of the back packaging. I love the vintage art! I'm also going to post a photo of the whole collection with their accessories as soon as I unbox the others.





This is how they came to me on their card. I was tempted to keep them on the card but since the boxes were in poor shape I decided to take them out!


And here they are with their accessories! Now emancipated after 30 years in their packaging! I love so much about this particular pair. First off, Lucky Leaf's coloring is just classy looking! Rarely did the makers of MLP stray from the obvious girl colors to create something a little more artistic in palate, that is, a base analogous color scheme (yellow/gold) with two complimentary accent colors (pink and mint green are opposite on the color wheel). More on color theory here. Not to mention the fact that I just love this particular unicorn pose known as the "Baby Glory" pose.


Look how slightly derpy Leafy the calf looks. Its super cute!


The symbols match and look to be the same tampograph pad print stamp. These were typically applied one by one by a worker and I imagine these were likely done at the same time.

One little rant on the accessories, which I think are a little unimaginative. What about a sandbox and some spoons and a bowl speaks "Lucky Leaf and Leafy?" This is where the newer MLP shine. Their accessories are typically tailored to the pony in question.

That said, don't you just ADORE collecting tiny accessories? Mine always got lost or vacuumed up so I feel like I am righting some cosmic wrong by gathering them again.

I will be keeping these guys on the shelf above my desk for awhile until its time to unbox the rest! I like to rotate them and appreciate them one by one on my hand made desk in my toy store.

Thanks so much for reading, my friends!







5 comments:

  1. Welcome back!

    It's wild to see vintage toys in the coming out of their packaging like this - fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're back! :) I completely understand balancing real life and online life. (I'm a mom and a toy collector working on a book, too.) ;)

    Can't wait to hear more from you! :) It's always so fun enjoying and remembering the toys from my childhood.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, yeah I am getting better at it ever so slooowly! I'm really glad you came by! All your comments brighten my day!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I had this set as a young girl and I so loved the little sandbox. xx

    ReplyDelete